Full Time: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: EUR 34,504
About the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional and bilateral interests.
About the Position
The PD, Events & Admin Officer manages official visits and events for the Embassy, including management of staff, and is responsible for managing the Embassy’s public diplomacy program.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Implement and manage the Public Diplomacy initiatives including administration and responsibility of the PD budget.
- Plan, organise and manage all Embassy events, including managing of other staff to ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner, managing guest lists, procuring required services including catering arrangements and AV equipment.
- Liaise with stakeholders as to sponsorship opportunities.
- Assist with media enquiries about Australia and proactively seek placement of positive stories about Australia and Embassy initiatives in the Irish media.
- Assist with the placement of information kits to schools.
- Assist with programmes and logistical arrangements for visiting Australian officials, Members of Parliament and Ministers.
- Provide administrative support including receptionist duties, greeting clients, receipting passport and other revenues, opening and dispatching official mail and operating the Embassy’s franking machine when required.
- Prepare, check and process accounts payable, receivables, and provide general finance-related assistance to the Office Manager/Accountant and SAO including preparation and submission of the Embassy’s VAT refund claims.
- Manage and maintain the Embassy’s contacts and events databases for business and community contacts.
- Maintaining the Embassy’s electronic records management system EDRMS.
- Relevant work experience in the media/public relations/cultural relations fields.
- Ability to proactively identify opportunities to enhance achievements of Public Affairs and Cultural Affairs programs.
- Well-developed planning and organisational skills to manage multiple tasks and priorities in a high volume, client-focused environment in order to achieve required outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to perform general administrative and financial activities, and comply with policies, procedures and legislative guidelines under direction.
- Excellent organisational and management skills, and the ability to work flexibly, both in a small team as well as independently - initiative is essential.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Strong interest in and knowledge of Australia, and understanding of the Irish and Australian operating environments.
- Demonstrated maturity and professionalism in dealing with clients and contacts.
- Valid residence permit allowing employment in Ireland.
In your written statements, you must prepare a short statement for each of the selection criteria listed below and include relevant but succinct examples that support your claims against the role:
A: Ability to work effectively across all organisation levels building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders, demonstrating strong oral and written communication skills.
B: Demonstrated interest and experience working in Public Diplomacy, Media and Events fields.
C: Proven record of working in a high volume environment and managing competing priorities.
D: Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and a high level of IT literacy including the ability to maintain an electronic documents management system.
E: Excellent team working and interpersonal skills, including experience working with senior level officials, executives and other stakeholders