Public Diplomacy & Communications Officer
Full-time: 37 hours 30 minutes per week
Starting salary: €28,301 - €29,444
Applications are sought from persons interested in employment at the Australian Embassy in Madrid. The successful applicant will be engaged on a local contract of employment.
Candidates must have the right to work in Spain. The Embassy of Australia in Madrid will not be responsible for any costs incurred associated with relocation, accommodation, work permits and visa costs.
About the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional and bilateral interests.
About the Position
The Public Diplomacy & Communications Officer for the Australian Embassy in Spain is a key member of the Political – Economic section.
The officer is responsible for supporting the delivery of the Embassy’s public diplomacy program to promote Australia’s interests in Spain. The officer will work with various Embassy staff and cross-government departments to enhance positive community engagement for Australia in Spain and to create dynamic digital content to support the Embassy’s public diplomacy strategy. The officer will be responsible for managing the Embassy’s events and public diplomacy activities, and support any official visits by Australian ministers and senior officials as required.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Provide strategic communications advice on how to effectively project Australia’s core foreign, trade, development and cultural interests in Spain. Including monitoring media and the forward planning of communications activities surrounding events, projects and visits.
- Support the management of the Australia Alumni network, including maintaining the database and identifying opportunities for engagement.
- Assist with media enquiries and proactively seek communication opportunities to place positive stories about Australia and Embassy initiatives in Spanish media.
- Create and publish all content for the Embassy’s digital channels across all online platforms, including drafting the Embassy’s quarterly newsletter.
- Develop messaging to respond to general enquiries from the public (email/social media), manage the Embassy’s public diplomacy email account and work with other Embassy staff to ensure the timely and effective response to queries and opportunities.
- Plan and organise Embassy events, including managing invitations and guest lists, liaising with stakeholders including sponsors, and procuring all required services.
- Develop and maintain networks for outreach purposes in media, business, academia and NGOs, and represent the Embassy at meetings and various events as required. Occasional regional travel may be required.
- Work with other Embassy staff to assist with programmes and logistical arrangements for visiting Australian ministers and senior officials as required.
- Relevant communications and digital media experience in the media/public relations/cultural relations fields. Experience with government or not-for-profit sector is preferred.
- Demonstrated fluency and familiarity with core digital media platforms, including analytics. Experience developing and delivering digital campaigns.
- Strong technology proficiency in Mac/PC operating systems with fluency within Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Premier Pro) and familiarity working with content management systems.
- Sound interpersonal skills and an ability to represent, network and establish effective stakeholder relationships.
- An ability to work under pressure and manage a number of priorities at a given time; to demonstrate sound judgement and discretion; show initiative; and work both independently and as part of a team.
- An active and flexible team player able to work in a fluid environment.
- Demonstrated ability to perform general administrative and financial activities, and comply with policies, procedures and legislative guidelines under direction.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both Spanish and English, with a demonstrated ability to translate and interpret between English and Spanish.
In your written statements, you must include succinct, high-level relevant examples that support your claims against the role. The word limit is strictly 250 words per response. The panel will not assess responses that exceed the word limit.
- Demonstrated experience supporting and implementing strategic communication and community engagement strategies, including the creation of digital content for a variety of digital platforms.
- Ability to liaise effectively with internal and external stakeholders, demonstrating excellent inter-personal skills, the ability to develop effective stakeholder relations and to build and maintain networks.
- Well-developed planning and organisational capabilities, demonstrating the ability to work under pressure, prioritise tasks and show initiative in developing and implementing key public events for the Embassy.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in preparing tailored media messaging both in English and Spanish.
- High level of IT literacy with an ability to manage electronic documents and content management systems, ensuring on-going compliance with policy guidelines. With a strong proficiency with Mac/PC operating systems with fluency within Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Premier Pro)