Full-time: 37 hours 30 minutes per week
The Executive Assistant reports directly to the High Commissioner and is responsible for managing her office, delivering the High Commission’s Public Diplomacy and Direct Aid Programs, and undertaking research. The position is also responsible for maintaining the High Commission’s communication systems.
Our ideal candidate for the position will have demonstrated experience as an Executive Assistant and familiarity with information and communication systems. The successful applicant will need to have a positive can-do attitude, and an ability to work as a member of a small multi-disciplinary team. We are looking for a well-organised self-starter, with strong interpersonal and communication skills; a flexible team-player who is willing to perform other duties as required in support of the High Commission’s work priorities.
· Australian Citizen with (or ability to obtain) Australian Government Security Clearance (NV2)
· Applicant cannot hold Maltese citizenship (even if dual)
· Proficiency in Arabic or French
Executive Assistant Duties
· Manage the High Commissioner’s office and provide high-level administrative support;
· Liaise with government and public officials, other diplomatic missions, the private sector and members of the public in support of the HOM’s priorities;
· Maintain the HOM’s program of appointments, including travel arrangements;
· Provide administrative and logistical support for visits programs, including liaison with Maltese and Tunisian government agencies, media, and other organisations; and
· Undertake other duties as directed.
Public Affairs and Research Duties
· In consultation, manage the Public Diplomacy (PD) budget, develop and implement an annual PD strategy, reporting on outcomes as required;
· Organise Public Diplomacy events, including identifying local partners and venues;
· Assist with organising the Australia Day reception and the ANZAC Day commemoration ceremony;
· Act as point of contact for general enquiries;
· Manage the High Commission website and social media, including developing a social media strategy;
· Press liaison, including publicity and media monitoring;
· Assist the HOM in the implementation of the High Commission’s Economic Diplomacy Strategy;
· Undertake research tasks to support the High Commission’s priorities and objectives; and
· Prepare reports on political and economic developments in relation to Malta and Tunisia
Direct Aid Program
· Reporting to the HOM, implement the Direct Assistance Program (DAP), including management of the budget, liaison with recipients on audit and evaluation, organising meetings of the High Commission’s DAP Committee, and identification of possible recipients for DAP funds;
· Act as initial point of contact for general DAP enquiries, vet applications prior to bringing them to the committee; and
· Provide annual reporting on outcomes and related acquittals.
Systems Administration, Security Duties, and Custodian Duties
· Maintain the effective operation of the High Commission’s communication systems and ensure compliance with departmental and Australian government requirements, including as custodian of materials and information
· Assist in providing prompt and efficient resolution of IT issues;
· Assist Post Security Officer (PSO) as required;
· Open and close the High Commission Chancery as required;
· Be responsible for dispatch and delivery of Safehand material;
· Ensure compliance with established registry procedures and requirements incl. the Archives Act; and
· Oversee the disposal of classified waste in accordance with legislative and security requirements.
In your written statements, you must include succinct, high-level relevant examples that support your claims against the role. The word limit is strictly 250 words per response. The panel will not assess responses that exceed the word limit.
A. Strong organisational skills, attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure and manage priorities with limited supervision.
B. Strong oral and written communication skills, including effective negotiation, liaison and consultation skills.
C. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build productive working relationships.
D. Proven ability to provide accurate and timely research and reporting, with a demonstrated ability to set priorities, show initiative, exercise sound judgement, meet tight deadlines and achieve results.
E. Proven ability to implement and manage programs and related budgets.
F. Proficiency and experience with computer software packages, including word processing, spreadsheets and databases, as well as a good working knowledge of information and communication systems.