Starting Salary: TRY 7,498.00 – TRY 9,816 per month
Full time: 37.5 hours per week
Applications are sought from persons interested in employment at the Australian Embassy in Ankara engaged on local terms and conditions of employment as a Locally Engaged Staff member.
About the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
The role of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is to advance the interests of Australia and Australians internationally. This involves strengthening Australia’s security, enhancing Australia’s prosperity, delivering an effective and high quality overseas aid program and helping Australian travellers and Australians overseas.
The department provides foreign, trade and development policy advice to the Australian Government. DFAT also works with other Australian government agencies to drive coordination of Australia’s pursuit of global, regional and bilateral interests.
About the Position
Under limited direction, the Finance Officer is responsible for managing the provision of financial services to the Australian mission in Turkey. In managing financial services, the position works closely with the Australian Consulate’s in Istanbul and Canakkale.
The key responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the finance and personnel team’s workload and provide guidance and supervision to other staff
- Develop, monitor, manage and report on budgets in consultation with the Senior Administrative Officer
- Prepare, maintain and monitor capital budget and minor asset allocation
- Funds Controller for banks accounts, including cash flow management and preparing and processing payments from the Embassy’s official bank account
- Manage bank reconciliations
- Prepare and process purchase orders and assist with procurement as required
- Prepare and process salary and allowance payments to staff
- Work with the HR Officer to ensure payroll and termination records are accurately calculated and maintained and assist with Personnel duties
- Prepare the End of Month accounting schedules and other financial reports in SAP
- Assist with preparation of monthly management reports and accompanying schedules and worksheets
- Prepare the annual FBT return, quarterly VAT refund and Fuel Excise Tax claims. Liaise with relevant Government departments on refunds
- Liaise with suppliers on payments and other financial management enquiries
- Maintain appropriate records of financial management transactions
- Demonstrated experience in the provision and management of financial services and/or bookkeeping
- Tertiary qualification in accounting/finance/bookkeeping or similar
- Working knowledge of SAP and advanced Excel skills
- Ability to interpret and analyse financial information and compile financial reports for management
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective stakeholder relationships
- High-level organisational skills with demonstrated ability to set priorities and accomplish tasks within tight timeframes
- High level written and spoken English communication skills
You will be required to address the selection criteria below in your application. You must include succinct, high-level and relevant examples that support your claims against the role. Please allow a maximum of 250 words per criteria.
A. Demonstrated ability to manage large scale computerised accounting systems; and provide financial reports and statements to a professional standard in a timely manner.
B. Demonstrate knowledge of contemporary accounting standards and processes and ability to perform accounting functions including preparing month end reports, journal processing, reconciliations, accounts payable processing, budgeting and relevant tax returns.
C. Highly developed oral and written communication skills in both Turkish and English, and the capacity to build productive working relationships with others and manage a small team.
D. Well-developed analytical and problem solving skills.
E. Ability to prioritise and manage workload, handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines and work under pressure with limited supervision.