The Australian Embassy, Stockholm is offering internships of one month, unpaid, on rotation in the Public Diplomacy and Political Section.
The Australian Embassy serves Australia’s interests in Sweden as well as in Finland and Latvia. Our purpose is to help make Australia stronger, safe and more prosperous by promoting and protecting Australia’s interests internationally, and contributing to global stability and economic growth.
About the Internship
This is a fantastic opportunity to gain an insight into the operations of an Embassy and develop skills within public relations, research and digital communications. You will be mentored by an Australian diplomat, and there may be opportunities to participate in a range of external meetings.
Potential tasks that you may participate in include, but are not limited to:
- Assist by monitoring and reporting on developments in various aspects of Australian and host country policies and related issues.
- Undertake research and analysis of political, economic and/or foreign policy issues in Sweden, Finland and Latvia.
- Assist with preparations for visits by Australian government officials to Sweden, Finland and Latvia.
- Assist in content publishing and monitoring the Embassy’s Facebook and Instagram accounts, including preparation of reports.
- Undertaking research and analysis of cultural and creative funding programs, from both Australia and Sweden, Finland, or Latvia.
- Assist with filming and editing short videos (for example, Embassy video message) and basic design work to create or edit graphics.
- Engage in outreach activities.
- Assist with event planning and events administration (preparing invitations, managing guest lists etc.).
This internship is offered for four (4) weeks, but subject to mutual agreement, may perhaps be extended. Flexible hours can be negotiated depending on individual circumstances and university class schedules/course credit requirements.
We are seeking interns who are recent graduates, postgraduate students or undergraduate students who have successfully completed at least four (4) semesters of their course.
Candidates who are completing studies in international relations, politics, economics, or communications are encouraged to apply.
Internships are unpaid and open to all nationalities. Travel costs and living arrangements are the responsibility of the intern. Please be advised that the Embassy does not provide assistance or sponsorship for work visas.
Should your application be successful, you will be required to complete a relevant police check before commencement. We offer internships on a rotation, therefore you may not be contacted to fill the initial vacancy, but you may be contacted at a later date.
In your written statement (maximum one page, plus your curriculum vitae), please include succinct, high-level and relevant examples that support your claims against the internship
- Briefly explain your interest in Public Diplomacy and/or International Relations and what understanding you have of the work and goals of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
- Demonstrate your ability to work effectively as part of a team, building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Set out any experience assisting with event coordination and demonstrate your attention to detail, time management and problem solving.
- Demonstrate your ability to undertake high-level word processing, and mention any experience in publishing and design and social media management.